I've seen Better Days

Ever  since I've graduated from college I have been floating around doing odd jobs here and there and over the hill. One of my all time "I love to hate" odd jobs is being and extra in movies and t.v. programs. Today was one of the worst days in the life of an extra. I was informed by the company the night before the shoot of the place that I had to be and when I had to get there. The place that I had to go for the job was in Philly (which is 2hrs from NJ) and I had to be there at 4:30am in the morning. There was no backing out of the deal either seeing that I commited to a job that I couldn't received details for until the night before. Yeah I know, "its a suckers life." But you would be surprised to known the amount of people that were suckered (myself included). There were at least 150-200 and perhaps more up at 4:30am at the call and beckon of that mighty "Hollywood Dollar" and man, they made us earn that buck.
For 4hrs we waited, given some slimy, cold egg and cheese sandwiches to dine on. Did I mention that it was pissy cold? Yes today it was. So after waiting we were brought outside in the pissy cold (in which we waited for another hour and a half) and ordered to take off our jackets and coats because it was suppose to look like a "spring day." However the crowd did not adhere to the latter command mentioned and by the 200 plus scowling faces the tech crew and director knew that that was the end of that issue. To make a long story short the day slowly drudged on until 3:30 that afternoon. After the director said that we were done there was a mad rush for the buses that would have put any "Black Friday" shopping stampede to shame. 
After another 2hr long ride back to my place I reared up my computer to engage in other work endeavors and projects. I know I should be asleep after such a day, but in all honesty I love the work that I do and if I love it I should let it kill me right? Right??

...
-J 



No comments: